Wednesday, March 2, 2011

(Not So) Wordless Wednesday: The Real Housewives

As I talked about before, during the PPD Chat on Twitter we were talking about realizing that no one is perfect. Many times, moms have this image of what the "perfect mother" is. In my mind, one of the things the "perfect mother" has is a spotlessly clean house. Of course, no one really does (or they have a really good housekeeper!). A few people (including myself) talked about feeling bad or guilty when seeing pictures on blogs, seeing people saying "this was a bad day" and having a good looking kitchen, living room, etc in the picture. I know I had to step away from some blogs for awhile, especially those that were making me feel guilty about reaching the unattainable Super Mom image in my head. I know people often put their best faces forward, so to speak, on their blogs, but today I'm keeping it real! It was suggested in the chat that we post pictures of our perfectly imperfect houses and our happy, smiling children.

My perfectly imperfect kitchen
My perfectly happy boy, who could care less about the kitchen counter.

Check out My Postpartum Voice to see more messy houses and happy kids. I'm also linked up at Hobo Mama and Natural Parents Network, so click on over for more Wordless Wednesday posts.

14 comments:

  1. That's exactly what the rest of my kitchen looks like. Fabulously imperfect and yet perfectly real. So glad you did this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks just like my kitchen and I don't have the excuse/reason of two kids to take care of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and OMG he looks just like Miss Beans in that pic - like when she was that age and super excited about cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! :) I'm loving these posts! and I loved posting mine-kind of freeing! :)
    Happy Perfectly Imperfect Wednesday!
    -Kristi
    @ Creative Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I'd have known there were woman thinking this exact thing when I was going thru it!! The crap I did to myself . . . and all in the name of being 'perfect.' It's so sad. I still do it. Still think that even if my friends house looks like mine -- lived in-- when the kids go to bed at night she makes it look all model home perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. And wow - great smile! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I will try to post one later :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK you. It's so important to know that not everyone has it all together (I say this as one of the people who doesn't have it all together!). I've been a little embarrassed to post my before pictures as we work on our decluttering adventure, but the idea of pairing the mess with pictures of my happy child is such a perfect idea!

    Visiting from Hobo Mama and Natural Parents Network!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing everyone's pics! This has been a very freeing exercise! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so proud of you for baring all. I had such a difficult time coming to terms with being imperfect. I grew up in a broken home, so my perceptions of what a "normal" household/parenting was viewed as being a totally opposite...perfect.
    I remember in postpartum period running around house at 3 am cleaning!
    So glad that through therapy and meds, I'm able to be more flexible and have learned to be just "good enough" ;)
    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So wish you'd seen my kitchen last week! I want no photo evidence of just how bad it was, but believe me, it was horrible!! Oh well, happy kids trumps clean kitchen every time!! And by the way, gorgeous baby! I don't think I've seen him awake in a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's what my kitchen looked like when Chris worked and I was home during the summer. The only way he manages to keep it clean is by using the TV to placate the kids while he cleans.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post! I don't usually push myself to keep clean, but I've often felt guilty about the state of my house. And that isn't right. My daughter comes first, I come second, and the housework stuff comes last.

    I didn't realize Bubby was so toothy! Elsa is too - she's not even thirteen months old and has all 12 of her first teeth. You don't see too many their age with so many teeth.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.