Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Homemade Baby Food

I was so excited when my preggo friend told me that she is planning on making her own baby food. Seriously, it is SO easy, it saves you money, and I feel so good knowing exactly what my little Beans was eating. Now she's eating mostly table foods, but I've got to get my butt in gear and make some sweet potato fries for her. Actually, I made some last week but I burnt them :(. If you think you don't have time to make your own baby food you are probably wrong. I have a friend who made a ton at a time, but I usually just took one day and made one thing a week. You can steam or bale the fruit or veggies, puree them in the food processor, pour into ice cube trays, cool in fridge for a few hours, and then freeze. After frozen, you just pop them out of the ice cube trays (sometimes are easier than others), place them in a freezer bag and label with name and date, and then freeze for up to 3 months (or longer perhaps for some things).So, in just one day you can make enough food to last quite awhile.

A great resource is www.wholesomebabyfood.com I got most all my information there. The book Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is good too, but I found the website more useful. Yaron seems to push a lot of solids early on (at least in my opinion) whereas my belief is that the little ones should be getting more breastmilk up until age one. Beans doesn't eat anywhere the amount of solids that Yaron would suggest, but there are a ton of recipes for toddlers in the book & a good amount of info too. But, the website is free and WONDERFUL!!!

So, try it out. You don't even have to be too adventurous at first...just mash up a banana or an avocado and -- walaa -- you've made your first homemade babyfood :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.