Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cheater.

I don't know what it is, but I've really been wanting to cheat on our diet lately.

It's usually not a big deal. I have never knowingly eaten anything that I knew could upset Bubby's tummy. I have been strict. I've missed things, sure, but knowing that my son feels 100% better (and, really, that I do too) makes it more than worth it.

Lately though? Things that are off limits have been sounding pretty damn good. Like when the hubby got some chocolate peppermint topped cheesecake for his treat on his night off. Or some yummy fresh baked sourdough bread. Brie. An apple fritter. I could really go for one (or all) of those right now.

It's weird. I usually don't miss things. I did for a short bit after each one of our unsuccessful reintroductions, but when I haven't had it for awhile it usually doesn't matter. It's usually the dairy too, since I felt like crap when we tried to reintroduce the wheat.

If you're on a restricted diet, do you ever find yourself craving things that are off-limits? Do you cheat? Do you just push through until the cravings go away?

2 comments:

  1. I totally cheated a bit during the holidays (even while taking extra digestive enzymes to help) and now I pay the price-- back to the foggy, sleepy feeling and about 8 extra pounds too! I don't recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog while looking for information about breastfed babies and food intolerances. My 4-year-old daughter is intolerant to eggs, gluten and garlic. She nursed until she was just over 4 and I kept those foods out of my diet the whole time we knew. Garlic was early--it caused lots of screaming. Gluten caused white pasty poops when we introduced it to her diet, but she was likely reacting to it via breast milk and I was only starting to figure things out. Eggs were hard and we only found out about that from testing we did through our naturopathic doctor. Once we knew the symptom (crazy behavior change) it was easy to spot an egg reaction.

    We have a new baby now and after my daughter weaned, I added eggs to my diet and some local cheese made from raw milk. I eliminated dairy about a month before the baby was born since milk proteins hang out in the body longer. It seems though that wee one might not like eggs either! I don't mind mostly, but eggs are soooo easy to prepare! I've come to accept that we will be gluten free for good, but I do hope eggs will make it back onto the menu someday!

    It's so hard to know how long to eliminate foods and when to reintroduce them. I find so much conflicting information. One thing is obvious though--our new baby sleeps so much better than our daughter. She still struggles a bit with gassiness, but she is so mellow in comparison. I think it helps us to avoid certain foods. It also helps that I've identified the foods that bother me and those undigested proteins are not passing into my milk (gluten, bananas, broccoli, asparagus, cranberries...).

    I am looking forward to reading more about your journey!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.