Sunday, January 1, 2012

Finding my Voice.

Ooh, my first post of 2012.

A clean slate.

A fresh start.

Something earth shattering or post-worthy or...

....just a post.

Just some randomness.

Just something to get me back in to writing.

Yes. That's all.

Today was a good start to the year. I got a lot accomplished. I vacuumed and dusted the master bedroom which may not sound like a lot unless you've seen my master bedroom in the recent past. We worked through the daily chores for the most part (and I'll post up my little spreadsheet later because a few people have expressed interest in seeing it). We had breakfast for dinner and I made extra waffles to freeze (used olive oil in my recipe because we're trying to get away from using canola oil and I think the taste was too strong -- I'd love to use coconut oil, but it's so expensive! Maybe half and half next time??) It was a gorgeous day and we played baseball outside a bit with the kids. I had wanted to go for a short walk with the kiddos, but Beanie has been chomping at the bit to play baseball since we cleaned out the last bit of stuff from storage at my sister's (including, of course, a bat, ball and mitt my dad had gotten for Beanie ages ago).

I started reading Freedom Through Frugality and I'm enjoying it. We've had to be pretty darn frugal by necessity, but the book does have some good ideas. We're already using many of them, but one we'll definitely be putting into practice this year is having a vegetable garden and canning/preserving. I don't know much about gardening, but I'm eager to learn and I received an organic gardening book that I'm itching to read through. I have a laundry list of things I'd like to plant -- carrots, squash, broccoli, peas, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, berries, and more -- but I want to start with some easy planting since I sort of have a brown thumb. Or, at least I did in the past. I really enjoyed cleaning out the garden space and I'm looking forward to having my own garden and taking care of it, so maybe that will help.

The four-year old is quiet (and hopefully finally asleep) and everyone else is already snoozing, so I'm off to read and wind down for bed. I'd like to add some fiction to my before-bed reading...any recommendations?

4 comments:

  1. I an excited to see you back! Sometimes a fresh slate is great motivation! Why are you trying to get away from canola oil? I should start planning a little garden. We got permission to plant one a few years ago but it never happened. I would love tips on being frugal if you find good ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've recommended some or all of these to you before, but just in case.... I loved The Book Thief, Room, If I Stay, Whip Smart (written by the daughter of a captain Erik sailed with at one point--her life as a dominatrix.) And you must read Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going to start from seeds? I have a book on this that I'd be happy to give you. I wanted to try growing seeds with the kids eventually, but - realistically - this isn't going to happen for another year or two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lettuce (the leaf variety) and radishes are super easy to grow, and great for the kids to start from seed. Most radish varieties take about three weeks to mature, which is practically instant in the garden world. lol

    I'm reading the Everlost series by Neal Shusterman. Little Sis picked it up at the library in the teen section, but it's better than a lot of the adult fiction I've seen lately. The Hunger Games series was pretty awesome, too.

    Glad to see you back!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.