Monday, August 11, 2008

A really long road trip

Yesterday we headed over the mountains to visit my dad, my grandparents and all my aunts and uncles. We originally weren't going to head over because hubby had to work early this morning and it would make for a long day for him. Well, it became even longer than expected.

We headed up to my sister's and dropped off some boxes in her storage unit & picked her up. We ended up stopping after a ways to get some coffee & lunch. After we got back into the car after coffee, Beanie decided she was not a happy camper and was screaming and crying in the car. It was mostly precipitated by her biting my sister's finger (and man does she have some chompers) and my sis saying "Ow!" pretty loud and not being too happy. After a short while, it was decided that Beanie might be a bit hungry so we stopped at a little park and ride by the train tracks and I nursed her. Tried to get her back into her carseat. Meltdown. So, we went outside and played with some flowers (okay, weeds...they were dandelions lol) before getting back into the car again. After some fussing she managed to fall asleep in the car after me whispering "Dada nigh-nigh, Mama nigh-nigh, kitty nigh-nigh, baby nigh-nigh" about a million times.

The actual event was fun. Beanie had a lot of fun chasing around my 2year old cousin and loved my step-sister's little puppy. I got to see family I haven't seen in quite a long time and I probably won't see them again for a very long time. I met two of my cousins I have never met before.

We wanted to leave by 5 at the latest and did pretty good, leaving at about 5:15. The drive that should've taken about 1 1/2 hours took 3 1/2. Weekend traffic caused the two-lane highway to be at a standstill. It was horrible. Beanie was SO upset, crying to the point of hyperventilating and gagging herself. Hubby sat in the back with her as he was hoping to catch some shut eye on the way home but no such luck. She wasn't having any of it. We stopped at my sister's to drop her off, I nursed Beanie, and hubby and I ate some popsicles. We got Beanie back into the car and she cried and fussed the whole 25min trip back to our house. She was happy as a clam as soon as we got home and took her out of her carseat. We brushed our teeth, I nursed her again, and she fell asleep. She slept for 7 hours, but far the longest stretch in quite some time. But, it having to go through that long drive didn't really make it worth it. Poor kiddo. And poor hubby too....he probably only got about 4 or 5 hours of sleep before he had to get up for work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.