Friday, December 3, 2010

Small Victories

Most of my current anxiety relates to safety issues. That's always been the case, but it's more prevalent right now with the PPD. One of the worst things right now is driving, especially in traffic or when the weather is bad. We've mostly been staying close to home and avoiding the freeway at all costs. As soon as we're in the car, I think we're going to get in an accident, the kids will get hurt, etc etc. Glenn does most all of the driving. I am anxious even as a passenger. I thin it drives him nuts, but I can't help it. I try.

But, this week I made two trips farther from home than usual and they went well. I didn't panic. I'm always a little anxious in traffic, but I think there's a level of normal I-hate-traffic anxiety and then there's the level I've been at, even in normal driving conditions.

It's the small victories lately that really make me feel like we are having a good week.

6 comments:

  1. Yay for you! I'm the same way...I can't drive at night because I feel like I can't see very well and I hate driving places I don't know. It's been a year since my accident and I haven't been anywhere near where it happened and avoid Bellevue/Redmond as much as possible...I drive 20 minutes to Issaquah instead! Let me know if you come up with some good tips...I don't have the luxury of having the hubby drive, at least not until we get the car equipped with hand controls! Try driving a huge suburban and parking it...that's a whole new panic attack for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I've had panic attacks while driving....not being able to feel my limbs and feeling like I might pass out....yikes! I remember having them regularly when I was pregnant the first time and making a 27-mile commute on the freeway each way for work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive driven in Washington ALOT and I totally understand why you would feel this way when driving there! Its definitely one of the major reasons I walked to most of the places I went too. But glad to hear you are venturing out!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great news. We were so glad to see you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.