Saturday, January 1, 2011

Compassion Kits: Part Two

Image Credit: dskciado on Flickr
I wrote previously about how we made compassion kits with our mom's group. It was a great experience and I was so glad we could participate.

Today we gave out our last compassion kit. Upon handing it out and driving away, Beanie said, "But there are more people with no homes and we don't have anymore bags!" (I was so proud!) She was a bit sad, but I assured her we could (and would) help in other ways. We talked about donating food and she mentioned she'd like to draw some pictures for people.

It was so neat to see her reaction and to see how it evolved as we gave out each of the five bags. With the first one, she asked what I was doing. I reminded her of our previous conversations, talked about the event when we made the bags, and talked about how we were helping someone who needed it. Ah, she remembered! The second person we handed a bag was very happy and thankful; you could see his face light up. By the third bag, Beanie was clapping and cheering and looking for more "people with no homes."

I'm excited to continue this as one of our holiday traditions, but even more excited to find ways to foster this giving spirit year-round, even if it's only donating a bag of beans while we're at the grocery store. She seemed to "get it," or at least get it as much as a three-and-a-half year old can.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is such a cool idea! I definitely want to get back in touch with my humanitarian side this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.