Sunday, April 20, 2008

Milk Supply.

In the beginning I was never one of the those moms that would worry I wasn't making enough milk for my baby. I trusted my body would do what it needed to. I nursed on demand & must've been doing something right because my little beans gained 3lbs in her first month of life. The last few days I have been wondering if I am keeping up. Mostly on the right side. I feel like there is nothing there. Most of the time after she is done nursing I can hand express some and it shoots pretty far (lol...nice mental picture there I hope), but the last two days there is nothing. Is she literally sucking me dry? I have kept nursing on demand, I've been drinking my mother's milk tea, eating oatmeal, granola bars & cookies. I just have to keep trusting in my body. It knows what to do. But my mind is the thing challenging me. I know it could very well be that she is getting two (possibly three) teeth on top. It could be a little growth spurt. It could be that she is burning a lot more calories tearing around the house lately and needs more caloric intake. I don't know what it is, but I am hoping it will pass soon. For a mom that doesn't pump, my mind is the biggest challenge when we go through times like this. I question myself, suck down the mother's milk tea and bake oatmeal raisin cookies. And then it passes. I am trusting that it will this time as well. She is almost ten months old and I am happy to say she has never had a drop of formula (not knocking my formula-feeding mommies out there). I would like to keep it that way. I would like her to be nourished by breastmilk only. So, I sit here, drinking my tea, trusting my body & hoping for a good healthy squirt after the Beans nurses next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.