Friday, August 20, 2010

I feel like I just got done weight lifting.

Meet my new chiropractor.


The Rock.

Dwayne Johnson.

Okay, not really, but as I was waiting for my appointment and saw the doc walking up (because they only see emergency patients on Friday) I really, truly thought The Rock was going to be adjusting my spine.

And I was scared. See, I'm not one of those gals who thinks Dwayne Johnson is hot. At all. He's intimidating.

And apparently he was also going to be my chiropractor.

I was more than a little relieved when the doc came in and in the up close and personal looked nothing at all like The Rock. Well, except maybe for his arms.

Yesterday morning I woke up and could hardly move. My whole right upper back was aching. Throbbing. I was in so much pain. Glenn suggested calling a chiropractor but I'd never been and, to be honest, was a little scared of all the joint popping type stuff. Plus, I was sure that I had just slept wrong and the muscle tension would work itself out.

This morning I woke up feeling a little better. I was pretty optimistic that things were improving. And then I sneezed. It was like the end of the world. I couldn't move. Sweet Beanie brought me the little massager thingy from the living room and I tried to get my back to feel good enough so I could make my way out of the bedroom. I realized this wasn't something that was just going to work itself out.

I called the chiropractor that's right down the street. They would see me today as I was an emergency. I guess not being able to move and unable to care for your children qualifies you for an emergency visit. That and I'm sure they knew if they didn't see me that day I would go somewhere that would.

Dr. Ricky (yes, that's what the receptionist called him and, yes, that freaked me out a little more than him looking like The Rock from far away) ran all these tests and took an x-ray of my neck and spine. He kept asking what I'd been doing. I don't know. Carrying around a 17lb baby. He asked if I'd fallen or been in an accident or could identify a time I got hurt. Nope. Apparently my spine is pretty screwed up. Like from neck to tail bone.

He adjusted me, which he said they didn't usually do on the first appointment but since I was in so much pain he would try to alleviate some of it. It helped. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Hearing my neck pop all sort of craziness was a little weird. He told me to ice twenty minutes on - forty minutes off as much as I could over the weekend. Right. I've been trying, but it's sort of hard with a baby and a toddler to care for.

My back does feel better. Now instead of feeling like I want to curl up and die I feel like I lifted a whole bunch of weights yesterday. Or at least what I imagine it would feel like if I lifted a whole bunch of weights since I haven't done anything like that in about fifteen years.

I have another appointment on Monday so I'm hoping things keep improving!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you feel better!

    And, oh yeah..The Rock. So. Hot. Sorry...drooled on the keyboard. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.