Friday, August 6, 2010

Oh thrush. I hate you.

Bubby and I are celebrating World Breastfeeding Week by having thrush. Again. After I just wrote about how we had persevered through so much with our nursing relationship it seems we have to persevere some more. Actually, I had a sneaking suspicion the other day that we had thrush again, but was hoping it was Bubby's distracted nursing and yanking on my nipple that was causing my pain and not recurrent thrush. Yesterday morning, however, I saw the tell-tale white patch in the corner of his mouth. It's very small so we caught it very early again.

So to really celebrate World Breastfeeding Week we are eradicating this thrush for the final time. Seriously. I am SOOOO over thrush.

Here's our treatment plan:

1. Diflucan for me. Twice a day for the next two weeks.
2. Nystatin for Bubby. Three times a day for the next seven days. (plus a few)
3. Grapefruit Seed Extract. Ten drops to an ounce of distilled water. Every waking hour for the next three days. In Bubby's mouth before each nursing. On me after each nursing session.
4. Dr. Newman's all purpose nipple ointment on me after the GSE has dried.

Washed everything yesterday in HOT water with GSE added in. Dried on hot.

I do believe that it is me who is persisting the thrush. I seem to have symptoms before Bubby each time we get it. So, I'm hoping the Diflucan will finally put an end to this.

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Do you take a good probiotic? That can help too. CVS has one that's pretty good if you don't have one already. Let me know if you want the name of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.