Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Referendum 71

I'll take this break from my usual mommy tales to post about last night's election.

I live in a state where a referendum keeping equal rights for all families was on the ballot. See, the legislature passed the rights for domestic partners and then the referendum was brought up trying to overturn these rights. The extended rights were supposed to take effect over the summer, but have since been on hold waiting for the results of the election.

Its very close. With about fifty percent of the vote counted, the results are 51% approve -- 49% reject. The results lie very dramatically on the east/west divide of the state. In the Seattle area which is more liberal and all the referendum passes substantially. In the eastern part of the state it failed substantially.

I hope the results continue to point to approving these rights for all families. I've never really understood what problem adults have with two other consenting adults deciding on what to do with their lives. What is it ANY of your business? The arguments against extending marriage rights to gay and lesbians don't hold any merit to me. Marriage (and marriage only between a mand and a woman) is the foundation of society? Really? Considering the divorce rate, the many, many affairs taking place and et cetera I'd say our society is in pretty dire straights then. How about the foundation of society be ending discrimination against one of the last groups it seems socially acceptable to discriminate against? I think if people focused on that instead of upholding whatever illogical ideals they have then society would be a much, much better place.

That's all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I found your blog via the NaBloWriMo site.

    I don't usually read mommy blogs (as my kids are almost all grown), but I'm really enjoying yours. I guess I'm semi-crunchy myself: breasfed four babies and had two homebirths, cloth diapers, etc.

    Anyway, just wanted to say I agree with this post and your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love to hear from you.